OCTOBER 1959 was a red-letter month for the Royal New Zealand Air Force. On the 28th the first four English Electric Canberra B.12 arrived at RNZAF Station Ohakea to be greeted by the Minister of Defence, Hon P. G. Connolly, DSC and the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Vice-Marshal Malcolm F. Calder. This was a significant development. For the first time since the Second World War the Royal New Zealand Air Force had a current and effective aircraft type.
(A postscript to the Vickers Viscount story, Aerolegacy, Volume 58, No. 1)
Author Paul Tibbutt writes, ‘For such a significant contributor to New Zealand’s aviation history, it is pleasing that we have a complete Vickers Viscount preserved in this country. It is pleasing also that the aircraft ZK-BRF, is in fact one of the original NAC fleet, resplendent in an early colour scheme that appropriately carries the name City of Christchurch and is located at Ferrymead Heritage Park, Christchurch. The leading light in BRF’s restoration Denys Coulter-Jones details below the
background to saving the aircraft and eventual restoration.